Monday, February 2, 2015

Writers Retreat

Retreat: Instead of facing tasks head-on, you flee.
Writers Retreat - to face writing head-on, and do nothing but write, wishing you could flee.

Our writing group went on a three day, retreat to Cathlamet, WA. Instead of fleeing, as I do at home to laundry, dusting, and just plain old anything except writing, I wrote and wrote. I only wrote eight poems, but I spent the majority of my time working on short stories for a book (of course an upcoming best seller). I got a lot written, met my goals for the retreat.

Everyone got things done. Handwritten notes typed into the computer, pages and pages organized into something resembling order, and a lot of research. We strayed from our goals only long enough to eat, and take an occasional walk outdoors while it was sunny (our usual rain stayed away), and of course sleep.

Five of the Cedar Creek Writers attended this three day retreat, all women. I'm sure most people could not  fathom the idea of five women in the same room for hours on end, and having the room quiet. But quiet it was. The only noise? The tapping of computer keys, and papers rustling.

Our writing retreats are always a joy for me. I always seem to get more accomplished when surrounded by other creative people. The air seems to change, swirling with ideas for my mind to grasp. I grasp and write, I grasp and think, I grasp and toss back. Writing at home I play soft, creative type music hoping to get those creative juices flowing, and it works, however a room filled with other writers has its own special nuances. Camaraderie perhaps, or an unspoken understanding that creativity is among us, and ours for the taking.

This writing retreat has become a yearly adventure. We stay at the Hotel Cathlamet, a refurbished old hotel, with creaky floors, small rooms with comfy beds, and is within walking distance of anything one could need in the small town. In January, the hotel has few customers, so we have the place to ourselves, which is good, since we take over the common room, and spread out snack goodies in the tiny kitchen. The owners are wonderful, allowing us to check in early, take over, and, as long as we clear out our rooms by check out time, they  let us use the common room until mid afternoon, when we leave.

We may try an early summer retreat to the beach, although for me, the beach may be too much of a distraction. But I will eagerly go, to spend time with my creative friends and fellow writers.

1 comment:

Jane said...

You have made it sound as wonderful as it was!