Wednesday, January 25, 2017

How to Read Poetry

I know I get frustrated with poetry that doesn’t make sense. I wonder what I’m missing, so I re-read, and find I’m still at sea, floating in a mess of words I do not understand.

And, after a short time of wondering where my brains went, I realize my confusion is the fault of the poet who did not make the poem clear enough to understand. I do also realize that I may just not be smart enough for that particular poem.

As a poet, I try to be clear. Or at least clear enough to lead the readers mind to intended destinations, sometimes with more than one route. Each person might walk away from a poem with a different thought; culling personal experiences and inserting them into what is read. If the reader cannot relate to the poem, the poem should at least allow the reader to easily step into the poem, be led through the poets thought process. 

A poem should be engaging, thought provoking, stomach churning, funny, deep, and something to make you cry. You may also dislike the poem, too hateful, sad, unkind, disturbing. That is fine, the poem has created feelings in you, the reader. That is good. A poem may also me a non-emotional response poem, an "eh, whatever" poem. Those can be good poems too, just not something that stirs a response.

Not everyone will like every poem, there are as many types and styles of poetry as there are poems, well, almost. One type of poem may be difficult for you to grasp as a reader, one may have too much rhyming, not enough, too many repetitive lines. Find the kind of poem you like, and read that. Stepping out of your poetic comfort zone can be fun, finding something different may open new worlds for your enjoyment.

So, how to read a poem? Sit back and read. Let the poem speak to you. Enjoy the experience, weep with the words, laugh with the language.


For me, as a poet, if my poetry leaves you stumped, I have failed. If I did not get any reaction from you, by the words I put together, then my job of creating needs some serious revamping. 

1 comment:

jane said...

Couldn't agree more with your first two and last paragraphs!